Thursday, April 24, 2014

How Do YOU See the World?

“If you want to have an interesting dinner conversation, be interested. If you want to have interesting things to write, be interested. If you want to meet interesting people, be interested in the people you meet—their lives, their history, their story.” – Jim Collins 

Life is based on experiences, including the books we read and the people we meet. These experiences represent our learning portfolio, affecting how we see the world and lead others. But an effective leader needs a variety of experiences to help them grow. Sometimes, it is easy for us to stay within our comfortable routine and resist change. 

I learned this the hard way. I did not pay attention to critical relationships early in my career. My work routine involved going on break (do breaks still exist?) and having lunch with the same group every day. We had fresh gossip or a mistake made by our supervisor to feed the conversation. My point of view was strongly influenced by this group, and a mentor finally challenged me to be wary of my associations. 

This advice caused me to reconsider my social interactions and reorient my relationships towards individuals who were moving the organization forward, a transition that was not easy and changed my career. This resulted in building connections to new people, greater career satisfaction, and becoming a more interesting leader. I challenge you to do the same. An effective leader can build an intentional learning portfolio through critical reading, thinking, and relationships. 

Critical Reading 
For years I would read articles and books based on an interesting title or concept, with little regard for the author. My moment of truth came in graduate school at Bradley University when my professors challenged me to read critically, discern the author and their point of view. I began to understand that reading to reinforce my current beliefs was not helping me grow. Take an inventory of the newspapers, magazines, and media sources that shape your views – what alternative sources are available to widen your perspective? 

Critical Thinking 
Critical thinking is all about asking effective questions, recognizing assumptions, objectively testing potential solutions, and effectively communicating in practical terms. Let’s look at a common example – evaluating data. Making decisions based on data that is convenient, subjective, and narrow is a shortcut with expensive consequences – both for you and your organization. A better approach is questioning the sources of information, identifying the root cause of the issue, and developing a story to support the data. We are rewarded for the decisions we make – critical thinking pays dividends. 

Critical Relationships 
As I mentioned in my story of being wary of your associations, take a look at your daily routine and calendar. Are you surrounded by individuals who are catalysts foropportunities or more of the same? We certainly need to have champions and critics to help us grow. Manage your relationships to keep you informed, inspired, and relevant. Don’t be a prisoner of your experience. Now is the time to reflect on your reading, thinking, and relationships to promote your leadership development. Be an interesting leader and increase your personal impact. 

Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment